Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Walk of Shame at the Clinic


Last spring, after a couple of years of little to no pain following the previously whined about spinal injection that I miraculously survived, I began experiencing a few symptoms of my pet bulged-disc again. From time to time I used the horrifying possibility of pain re-occurrence to remove myself from physical work by claiming that "taking it easy" would be the prudent thing to do as to not risk further injury by vacuuming, washing windows or other dangerous activities.
The symptoms became present to the point I felt the need to repeatedly tell my friends in the health care industry all about it. I was surprised at how fast my buddy Mike secured another MRI appointment for me. Apparently, he had enough of me whining about it and used his connections to expedite my case. As appreciative as I was for his effort, there was still the fact that getting me into an MRI machine was going to be a task Hercules himself may have declined.
I received a phone call from the same facility that I had my first MRI to verify the appointment date and go over some important details, like how they plan to actually complete the MRI knowing of my Claustrophobia and unhealthy if not irrational fear of the machine itself. The nurse on the phone told me to see my family doctor and ask for medication X as it is known as the "I don't give a hoot" drug and I should be able to take that and make it through the MRI uneventfully. I complied. 
I took the medication as prescribed and shortly before it was time to go into the MRI studio, it had kicked in and in full force. I'm not used to altering my mind with chemicals, but this one for lack of better words made me feel dumb(er). It wasn't the normal or expected effect. But, I'm not the normal patient they expected either.  I figured analyzing my thoughts and feelings would be a good idea at that time. I couldn't control the strange feeling or my thoughts at all and it went downhill from there.
The imaging techs went through the motions of putting me on the table, wrapping me tightly in a cocoon of hot blankets, fitting me with large cranium covering headphones, putting on very uncomfortable feeling socks and applying a sleeping mask to my face so I wouldn't open my eyes and see how trapped inside this tiny area I actually was. All that prep-work didn't help my claustrophobia at all. Combine that with the fact that the medication was having opposite intended results and it's not hard to describe what happened next. I couldn't have felt more uncomfortable in my own skin if I was in a dark coffin with my own lifeless body lying on top of me. The test never began. 
My friend Mike had taken time out of his day to personally drive me to the imaging center to make sure I wouldn't try to escape, only to see me walk out of the MRI unit in shame.  The following picture somewhat accurately depicts what he saw.



No comments:

Post a Comment